Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Stuff and single parenting

I don't know if I have said this before but I am not a stuff person. I am not one that goes shopping looking for stuff for my house. I am one who goes through what she has and says how can I get rid of stuff. It weighs me down and I just get a heavy feeling if I feel like my house is cluttered. Now don't get me wrong. We have pictures on the walls and I have a book shelf with books and "stuff" and my kids have toys. Today I was doing some tidying up out in Jim's shop and I started to have that feeling. Like we don't use this why do we have it. Why can't I get rid of all this stuff. I Love Ipods and computers for the shear fact that I don't have to see stuff. I don't like buying many DVD's because I don't see the point. I would love to get rid of the baby stuff but I am to practical for that. We are done having kids. (God willing) but I worry that what if when Jim gets home. Now the one thing I haven't gone over board with is the kids pictures and art and stuff they get. I love all there art and things. That we may get overboard on. So I have a question for you all. If you could only take 3 things with you what would they be. Clothes, tolietries and bible (Your going in a really nice RV, fully loaded) what would you take.
Mine would be a laptop, camera and my special blanket. Of course with this my husband and kids are with me.
Now, the single parenting. How do you get 4 year old boys to not get so upset about such small stuff. Yesterday was horrible. Brayden was just out of control and no matter what happened or what we did we had a complete melt down. Now today was great until the end. Right as I got out of the shower he freaked out. I guess Riley wouldn't play with him while I showered and he was upset that I got out before she would play. I think part of the better part is the fact that during quiet time I did art with him and didn't do all my stuff. I got up at 4:30 to do all the banking and army stuff I had to get done. So we have done lots of time outs in his room. He does not like that. Tonight he lost his books and only got devotions and bible stories. That was of course devasting. Then he said sorry for not obeying. I had to explain he didn't disobey. He just can't act like that. It is okay to be mad, sad, angry and all that. He just can't scream and wail. That won't be allowed. So I guess we shall see what tomorrow brings.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Sorry you're having to deal with that stuff with Brayden. Sounds like he may be acting out with Jim gone. BUT I will tell you - we went through it all with Brandon. ALL of age 3 was like that. Yes, the entire year. So maybe 5 will be better for Brayden?

Just be consistant. Keep up the good work! I don't think I could do it by myself for as long as you will have to!

Carrie said...

Okay, and as far as what I'd take besides the essentials...laptop, camera and phone would be my choices, I think.

* said...

Its so funny, Max has awesome days where I think he is the easiest child on the earth, and then days where I am ready to rip my hair out because hes in and out of time out. I think most of the behavior for Max stems from attention, if I do what you did like sitting with him, playing on the floor..etc..he has much better days. Hang inthere sister.

I would take (Marv and kids already there) my blackberry, photography of my kids, and my camera too... ---I had a hard time thinking of what!